How to Avoid a UFO

 And if you are a creative type, you know I'm not talking about little green men. UFO = Unfinished Object.

 
A little suncatcher I finished on the weekend.


First a disclaimer: I do have many UFOs in my house, in boxes or lying around. I also have several projects 'resting' on my craft table. But these days when I start something, I try extremely hard to finish it. Finishing projects (or not) is a huge factor in how my mental health is travelling. (I'll write another post on this tomorrow).

 
A bag of 'scumbles' which need to be crocheted together as a freeform crochet ... very much a UFO.


So first off... what causes MY UFOs?

When you look at the reason for a problem, it can help you tackle it.

So here's a list of reason's my projects go off task;

1. I've discovered I don't yet have the skills to get the result I want.

2. I have the skills, but it's still not turning out how I envisioned.

3. I've decided it needs something else and I'm waiting for the material to arrive. When it does, I've lost momentum.

4. Another, more urgent project (for a birthday present, exhibition or commission) has cropped up.

5. (but probably my biggest hurdle) I've lost interest in the project and I'm itching to try a new technique.

6. I just don't like the project any more.

7. A tendency to overcommit. I say 'yes I'll do that for you' more often than I have time for.

I don't consider something a UFO until it's been packed up and put in a box, drawer or cupboard.


Not completed, but not a UFO, this sculpture is waiting for the end of COVID so I can buy the right size hoop to finish it the way I want. This project is 'resting'.


So there are three ways my projects get finished. Either I get it out and make a new commitment to finish it, or it's been resting and I determine to finish it or, it gets done from start to finish without 'resting'. Usually that last category is for smaller projects.

And these are my strategies for getting projects done when motivation flags:

1. If the item has a purpose, I'm more likely to finish it. So a quilt for my bed or a door stop I need, those projects are more likely to get done.

2. An end date. As I said before, items with a due date (birthday, exhibition or commission) will usually be done in a timely fashion.


This project was for a magazine, and I had a clear deadline.


3. Work on one thing at a time. I'm not good at this, but when I do focus on getting one thing done, I work on only that project for a few days or weeks, whatever it needs.

4. Smaller projects. If it takes only a day or two, it's easier to see the finishing line.

5. Bullet Journal. If I make a to do list with the current focus project on it, I will be more likely to work on it, even if I'm bored with it.


A page in my bullet journal (BuJo) with today's to do list, including some creative work I'd like to do.


6. Remember my 'why'. If I'm flagging, I can sometimes respark my enthusiasm by thinking about why I started it in the first place, especially if the 'why' was to learn a new technique. That will overcome any doubts I have about the project being 'Good Enough' (and that statement there needs it's own blog post too.

Do you have an issue with UFOs? Leave a comment and tell me about it.

And if you enjoy reading my blog, consider following me, so you don't miss any.

Thanks for reading.

Jennidee


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Goes Into a Spirit Doll?

Precious Gift

My Voice