My Spirit Doll Journey

 The making of dolls is an ancient practice, and dolls as healing is just as old.

I can't really remember the first doll I ever made. I'm pretty sure it was in my teens though. But my first spirit doll came along only a few years ago.

Spirit dolls are used in the Wiccan faith, usually placed on the altar and imbued with positive intentions. I had a desire to make one that I would infuse with the promise of inspiration.




Once 'inspiration' was finished I posted her on facebook to show my family and friends. One of my friends who saw her and read the story of how she was connected to a Wiccan tradition contacted me almost immediately. A dear friend of hers, who was a practicing Wiccan had just passed. My friend asked me to make her a spirit doll as a passing gift for the lady who being buried according to Wiccan traditions in only a shroud.
This doll I called 'Flora'

This doll was even more special as I was given the large collection of beads that the Wiccan lady had left behind to use in the doll's creation. As I embroidered the beads on, I wished the lady peace and good luck on her next adventure.

both of these first two dolls also had stuffing infused with Lavender oil for peace and calm.

The next doll I made was my first attempt at sculpting a face, and while she is very different to the first two, I am very proud of her. I called her 'Una', a play on the Spanish word Uno, for 'one' as she was the first sculpting attempt.

'Una' also has Lavender in her stuffing. She is currently for sale at The Remakery. As I created her, I reflected on being brave enough to try new things.

Then came more dolls from the Wiccan ladies bead collection. My friend asked me to make three more dolls, one for each of the very good friends of the Wiccan. I only met her once at a party, but as I made these dolls I thanked her for the privilege of using these beautiful materials and on how valuable her friendship was to these other women. 
Here are the three new dolls with 'Inspiration' and 'Una'.



My most recent doll was a wee little thing for my future daughter-in-law, who is also Wiccan. I made this doll for her altar and wished her great financial success, as it was something she was struggling with at the time.
'Fortune' has the an embroidered face as she is such a little thing. She needed to be petite to go on the small altar.



So all of the dolls I have made have had my love, my hopes and my gratitude sewn into them. And each doll has also had a positive intention woven around them.

That brings us to my current projects.
Yesterday I sculpted some new faces for some new dolls.


Before they are sewn on to the doll, they will have a little touch up with a bit of ink to bring out the facial features a bit more.

Do you have any intentions you would like woven into a doll? If you do, please let me know as these are destined for sale at The Hawkesbury Remakery.
I can't wait to get started with some bead embroidery today.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Goes Into a Spirit Doll?

Precious Gift

Something Finished and Something New