What Goes Into a Spirit Doll?

 As I'm planning my newest dolls, I am considering what happens when a Spirit Doll is created.

This is the doll I'm working on at the moment. 


She has a hand sculpted and painted face.

Spirit Dolls in Wiccan faith, and many other mystical based faiths, are used as a channel for or barrier against spiritual forces. They are often placed on an altar, but if small enough can be carried frequently or tucked under a pillow. A doll made for healing would channel well being, health, physical strength etc. And a doll made as protection might shield against hate, fear or greed, for instance. There are dolls made specifically for malice (think of voo-doo), but I don't go anywhere near those.

When a doll is made for healing or protection the creator of the doll not only aims to envision the doll's purpose as they work, they would choose materials which amplify the sentiment. For example, my doll 'inspiration' I chose amethyst, partly because it is my birth stone and I adore it, but also partly because it is a good conductor for understanding. The doll is mostly purple, which relates to the third eye chakra, where imagination and intuition lie. The head chakra is usually purple. I used Lavender oil on the stuffing which is excellent for inducing calm. I enjoy burning lavender when I create.

So, the doll I am working on right now, I want to assign the properties of bliss, of lifting up and a connection with spirituality. Therefore, the appropriate chakra is the 7th which is violet or white and those are the colours I will use in her creation. I will also use clear quartz, citrine and amethyst which are all stones which promote the light joy and happiness I am trying to channel. I've also included rose quartz as it gives me joy, and it is often used in love connections - hopefully a joyful thing.  I will use Lemon and orange oils inside the doll as they are scents which promote energy and joy. I will also write a few words on paper to slip inside the doll. This is something new for me as I recently discovered it when doing some more research into spirit dolls and healing dolls. I like the idea of this practice and I'll be incorporating it from now on.

As I was sculpting her face I was in a lovely calm space, just enjoying the process and imagining the doll giving someone joy.

There are times when I can't work on this doll as I'm feeling frustrated (thanks to covid or my own inner critic) and i don't want to pass these feelings on to the doll. I like to promote a joyful mood to work on her by listening to uplifting music.

If a spirit doll is something you would like to try making (or have me make one for you) please get in contact with me. You can email me jenni dee mill@gmail.com (just get rid of the spaces in that address, done that way so I don't get bots picking it up).

Thanks so much for reading. I'm off to do some more Making!

Comments

  1. Learning so much about spirit dolls drop your blog posts. Love the fact that you make sure your mind is clear and positive when working as well.. a complete process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I have a few great song lists that i love to listen to that put me in a great frame of mind.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Precious Gift

How to Avoid a UFO