Always Learning

 The lock down in NSW has been terrific for me to upskill ...not sure I like that word for creative work, but it does describe what is happening. Can you think of a better term?

Anyway, I've been learning a lot. Yesterday I followed a video on how to make Bruges lace and I've started a piece.


This is a very basic piece really, and this is the level I'm aiming for ...



(Sorry i don't know who the maker is, of this lovely lace. It's a picture from Pinterest)
As you can see, I've got a bit of practicing to do. But I'm very lucky in that I pick creative skills up really fast. I wouldn't be producing lace like this for a table, more for wearing, like this...
 


 Though I wouldn't crochet the entire outfit as is done here.

I'm also learning a lot about running a creative business. I went to a webinar last night on Creative Marketing Strategies for Creatives. I learned a lot, though I never really intend to creative work to be my sole income. It will need to pay for itself though, and bring in a little extra. I learned that's called ROI or Return on Investment. The investment is not only my skills and the materials, but my time.

According to the presenter, there are 6 steps for good marketing;

  • 1. Know who you are - covered that in yesterdays blog post
  • 2. Understand your clients
  • 3. Assess your competitors
  • 4. what has worked before - or failed
  • 5. Choose Your tactics
  • 6. Measure against your goals.
I think the first real step is to work out what you want as your ROI. And I've discovered from my work as a Maker In Residence, that what I want most is to enjoy myself. And that two of the tactics that were mentioned are what I enjoy almost as much as the making - blogging and making process videos.

So expect a heap more to come your way!
I hope you are enjoying reading my posts as much as I'm enjoying making them.
Thanks for reading
Jennidee


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Goes Into a Spirit Doll?

Precious Gift

My Voice