How Progress Helps Positive Mental Health

 Does it bug you as much as it does me that people refer to Mental Health like it's a bad thing? Mental Health is an area of health, not a condition. Positive or Negative Mental Health is the condition.

Ok so I'll hop off my soap box now and write about the real purpose for this post.

My progress on this Bruges Lace is such a positive mental health booster because it's a physical measurement of my achievement, of the time well spent and a new technique learned.

This is what it looked like after using a full ball of thread.


About 26cm.

This is what it looked like this morning.


That's about 37cm if you count the bottom half.

And even more satisfying is the decision I made about what to do with this lace. I have a short black skirt that I will embellish with this lace. So now it has a purpose and I have a target length.

Like I was saying to my wonderful Life Coach, Judy, yesterday, it's one thing to make something lovely, but so much better if it gets finished and turned into an item that can be used. (If you want direction in your life, I'll put you on to Judy. She is AMAZING).

Did you ever make a finger knitting cord? Or French knitting? It's something we generally learn in school as a craft project. You end up with these great long cords.



And as a teacher, I remember the kids comparing lengths and getting excited as it grew. That's fun! But even better is if gets long enough that it can be rolled into a flat spiral, sewed together and used as a coaster.


I still remember the satisfaction I had when I was in year 2 and I made one of these. The sense of achievement has created a really strong, positive memory.

So can I encourage you to enjoy the progress you are making, but also stick it out to the end to finish something? It really is wonderful.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Goes Into a Spirit Doll?

Precious Gift

My Voice